Sunday, January 14, 2007

Oh, I forgot that masterpiece

Pianist Phillip Bush reports (Jan. 12 entry) that a CD of the music of Michael Sahl has just been released that he had completely forgotten he'd worked on.

I'm sure I won't soon forget Bush's interesting "Ben Johnston: Music for Piano" album, about which more soon. In his Oct. 12, 2006, entry on Ben Johnston (Bush says the recording of Johnston's No. 2, 3, 4 and 9 string quartets by the Kepler Quartet is the "CD of the Year"), Bush mentions his own Johnston album, and complains "Yes, I think the disc has gone out of print .... but folks are working on it."

In fact, it's still "in print" on Emusic, the music downloading service. I bought it yesterday on Emusic, which is a great source for cool CDs which otherwise have become unavailable. I listened to the album as I was fixing lunch Sunday and it's fascinating.

No comments: