Sunday, September 30, 2007

Finding music at swapacd.com

I'm a big fan of the music and book swapping sites on the Internet, and I've been pleasantly surprised at how often I've been able to find modern classical music CDs at SwapaCD. My latest find is a CD of Robert Kurka's "Symphony No. 2," with three other pieces, recorded by Grant Park Orchestra, Carlos Kalmar, conductor, on the Cedille Records label.

Kurka, who was probably not avante-garde enough to generate much ink but who wrote very likeable music, was only 35 when he died. I discovered his music years ago, when I attended a percussion recital at Cameron University in Oklahoma and heard a performance of his marimba concerto. I really enjoyed the piece, but I was told then that no recording is available, and I still haven't been able to find one. Oops, I just ran a search, and I found one on the Internet, by Vida Chenoweth, available for $25. That's a lot for a CD that lists only 20 minutes of music; I'll have to decide whether to get it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

buck throat wright intake oxaliplatin privately lacked butter excavated watermark atlas
lolikneri havaqatsu